Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes[_2_] Mike Barnes[_2_] is offline

Default Lighting in wardrobes....

JimK wrote:
I have a built-in wardrobe set that I want to illuminate inside with
some mains powered led lights.

Within the wardrobe there's a double socket...

Thinking spur off the socket to a fcu then upto lights all in
discrete surface clipped t&e (or maybe in plastic conduit?), junction
boxes for all connections, 3amp fuse in fcu...

Does that sound proper enough?

Any tips or gotchas?

Faced with a similar situation: my wardrobes weren't fitted to the room
ceiling (sloping!) so I simply ran flex from the socket, behind the
nearest wardrobe, onto the "roof" of the run of wardrobes. There the
mains was looped into door-operated switches on the "ceiling" of each
wardrobe, to the PSUs on the "roof".

The lights are LED tapes. They're stuck to the inside surface of 15mm
L-shaped mouldings, which in turn are pinned to the inside of the
wardrobes. That results in good illumination with the LEDs actually out
of sight to avoid glare.

In the hanging space, the mouldings are on the sides near the door
hinges. In another location with full-depth shelves, the mouldings are
on the doors, near the swinging ends. In yet another location with
internal drawers, the mouldings are placed below the lip of each drawer.

I can take photos if you're interested.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England