Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_5_] bert[_5_] is offline

Default OT ish Slow Windows

In article , Bill
writes
In message , Davey
writes
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 09:17:11 +0100
Bill wrote:

And I bought a Humax PVR in a local PCWorld closing down sale.

Bad idea to start with.

Yes, but it was a very good price. I found a forum and asked, and it
appears to be working "as designed". It did have old firmware, but I've
updated to the current version.

What an amazing design.

It has the same red LED for OFF and for Recording, so there is no way
of knowing what it is doing.

The answer to this is to install the optional Firmware, which enables
all sorts of useful things on your Humax. Start he
http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Main_Page

That is
a) the sort of typical response of a Linux user. "If you replace the
basic system with this one written by someone even more unknown it will
start to work". SWMBO regularly asks me "How come thick people seem to
have no trouble installing insert unit and you are making such a
fuss?". I have no answer.
b) possibly very useful, thank you. Mine is a 2000T, and that seems to
apply to a FoxT2, whatever that is.

I still wonder at the thought processes of a manufacturer who designs
something with the red light for "off" and the same red light for
"recording".

Don't worry my Toshiba is equally stupid. Bright red circle when in
standby, very small dull red light for recording virtually invisible.
Blue circle when on and blue lettering for display information again
virtually invisible.

On Dave's original problem, I would have pointed him to msconfig and
the start options as others have done, and suggested he then waits a
month or two, then looks at updating to Windows 10.

--
bert