Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT ish Slow Windows

On 7/30/2015 11:09 AM, Huge wrote:
On 2015-07-30, Robin wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Well you manage to appear stupid with effortless ease. Probably a
windows zealot...

Why don't you spend your time and energy addressing whatever market
failures have stopped Linux taking a larger share of the desktop
market - especially the consumer desktop market - despite manifest
advantages such as price? As it is this is yet another thread which
seems to me to support the (in)famous comment:

"The biggest killer of putting penguin software on the desktop was the
Linux community. If you think the Apple fanboys are completely barking,
they are role models of sanity to the loudmouthed Open Sauce religious
loonies who are out there."

https://web.archive.org/web/20131222...hance-has-gone

And AIUI you couldn't just install any old Linux distro and use Netflix
until last autumn. If so, how was that a system fit for the consumer
market?

Whilst you (and he) have a point, it's all irrelevant.

(i) The desktop market is dying. I was in a meeting the other day where it
was pointed out that the vast majority of access to our website is from
mobile devices. And MS have just failed completely in their second attempt to
break into the mobile market.

The desktop market will shrink as the people who find they can do what
they want as easily on a mobile device fall away. There will remain a
core of users however on the desktop.

(ii) The war is over; Unix (and its relatives) won. Android is Unix. iOS

There are plenty of usable consumer platforms out there including
android that include a subset of linux technology. However to
extrapolate that into a general argument in favour of one of the desktop
distributions seems like a bit of a stretch.

is Unix. Blackberry is Unix (and dying itself, sadly). Windows Phone is
nowhere.

(iii) In the server space, Unix won overwhelmingly.

True, but not really relevant to the consumer.

(iv) Microsoft are a marketing company, not a technology company. Most
people use Windows because they know no better.

--
Cheers,

John.