Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Lang David Lang is offline

Default OT ish Slow Windows

On 30/07/2015 19:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 29/07/15 23:41, David Lang wrote:
On 29/07/2015 23:31, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 29/07/15 23:18, Davey wrote:
Anyone recommend a download that will clean up & improve speed?

It's called changing to a Linux OS and ditching Windows for ever.

That is the easier option than wading through the mysteries and band-aid
fixes of windows "security" software.

But I guess the OP likes Windows. So what to download?

I don't, it just comes with the machine. I have no idea what Linux is.
Possibly a character from Peanuts?

OK, try this.

Your honeymoon period with your new machine is over. You've probably got
a good idea what Windows application is useful, and what is not. Some of
that is probably the advertising junk that was delivered with the
machine. One of those almost certainly is something from Norton.

Investigate how to back up data from your machine. The best probably is
something over the internet, google drive, one drive, dropbox etc. You
can also make a full image copy to an external £30 hard drive, if truely
paranoid.

You should then look at a clean W8 install using the recovery media
supplied with the machine. Uninstall all of the pre-delivered junk. If
that is hard, pay someone.

Then have it upgraded to Windows 10...

I've just done that. It's better.