Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] philipuk@gmail.com is offline

Default Health & Safety issue

On 2015-07-12, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Vir
Campestris wrote:

On 09/07/2015 23:15, Tim Streater wrote:
And if the IT dept were not clueless the users would not be being given
these giant towers with their noisy fans and ****ing great 300W power
supplies. There are perfectly good small machines that could be used.

Remind me - what was the workload on the machine? I missed that.

Next to nothing on most desktops, I venture to suggest. IIRC, the usual
email, web, bit of Word doc editing was mentioned.

The intel core i5 Mac Mini I have on my desk (10g ram, 250gig SSD and
500gig HD, both internal) is not much bigger than a hardback book, if
that.

The vast majority of office desktop machines are hugely overpowered for
what they do.

--
Today is Pungenday, the 47th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.

It's all good until you browse the web and discovered that the web developers know that you have better than a Cray Supercomputer even on your phone and haven't bothered to write scripts that will run on anything less.

Philip