Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_5_] Graham.[_5_] is offline

Default Health & Safety issue

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 02:52:40 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 9 July 2015 23:15:12 UTC+1, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Chris French
wrote:

what's clueless about a perfectly normal cable setup?

It may be normal, but not desirable. It's also a lot harder to keep
clean.

Normally that's not a priority in most places of work.

Ideally all the sockets for a given station should be presented at
floor pockets and then the cabling run neatly up to the workstation.

and all clouds should be fluffy and white.

And if the IT dept were not clueless the users would not be being given
these giant towers with their noisy fans and ****ing great 300W power
supplies. There are perfectly good small machines that could be used.

True here too, we have 30+ PCs in my lab but we can't afford to replace them every year.
What we do is recycle the older machines as the oldest become unusable
or less useful they get passed down. Our IT dept. are apparenrtly buying 1,500 new PCs, we will get some of thioer old PCs and our old opnes will be used for studetn projects that don't need 'best/good spec' PCs.

The tangle of wires will at some point cause problems with the RJ45
connectors, I'd say.

It's unlikely to cause problems for the actual user of that PC if everything stays put, it's the replacing and moving is when things start to go wrong.

I install that kind of hit all the time and while I am a little OCD
about dressing cables reasonably neatly, by the time I return to
upgrade it 3 years later it looks like the picture, or worse.

Each item in the tangle then has two or three PAT test labels affixed
which is a good clue as to who's to blame.

It's all par for the course, might not be esthetically pleasing, but
it does no harm. Look at the wiring on board the ISS, on the regular
NASA TV telecasts!

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%