Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] philipuk@gmail.com is offline

Default Health & Safety issue

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 11:37:21 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
This is a small office in a large UK corporate company.
Although untidy tangle of wires would this be deemed `at risk` under
health and safety.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps32wd8zso.jpg

If so is there a section or ref number within health & safety to report
this? Electricians say it is ok, but then again they couldnt find the
light switch to turn off a ceiling light that goes of at the mains!

If you think there is a problem there you really don't want to look behind the desk I am at now!

Everything seems to have its own socket, so this is a Rolls Royce installation. cables are tied together and out of the way so that no trip hazard exists. The power bricks would be a tiny bit better if they were not dangling on their cables, but that's a 5 second fix and not a safety issue (a reliability one instead). Labeling the sockets would aid identification, but again not a safety issue and we are knit picking.

Where you have a couple of computers, phones, lamps etc you are going to get a lot of cables, end of. Are you wanting to return to the days of old where the only thing on an office desk was a telephone, if that.

There are cable tidy's you can buy to make that look a little neater, but of course they become a problem when you want to replace a piece of equipment (unless keeping the same cables).

The only slight other problem that I can see is the shockingly bad workmanship of whoever crimped the connectors on for the Ethernet/phone cables. Again a reliability issue not a safety one.

Philip