Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_5_] Graham.[_5_] is offline

Default Halfords switching power supply to power a Ring Automotive RAC610 12V Analogue (Tyre) Compressor

On Wed, 8 Jul 2015 06:23:43 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 at 7:33:05 AM UTC+1, MM wrote:
Yesterday I ordered a Ring Automotive RAC610 12V Analogue Compressor
from Amazon, because I cannot pump my car tyres up manually at the
moment due to recovery from an operation.

It so happens that about three years ago I bought a Halfords switching
power supply model RL-816U, with the following spec:

AC Input: 220-240V ~ 50Hz 0.7A
DC Output: 13.6V +/- 5A 68W

The power connector is just like the cigarette lighter in a car.

So I reckon, instead of plugging the tyre pump into the in-car
cigarette lighter socket, I should be able to plug it into the
Halfords unit instead.

Anyone see a problem with this plan?

Cheers!

MM

The Halfords RL 816U will blow R8 which cannot be repaired because Halfords wont supply a circuit diagram and R8 is blown out of recognition. This happened while mine was running a Halfords cool box which is supposed to do. If you need to try it you may get away with it depending on the power required by the compressor, but in any case always start it with the compressor blowing into free air and not trying to oppose the tyre pressure.

Rather an old post that you are replying to. I doubt 5A is enough for
an inflator. 7-10 Amps maybe.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%