Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Mounting a shed base using paving slab strips

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 8:40:17 PM UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
wrote in message
After investigating various ways of building a base for a garden shed on
sloping ground I've bult a wooden frame out of treated 2x3 and plan to
drop 6 uprights into holes that will be filled with postcrete. Initially I
was going to make the uprights by cutting stub concrete posts in half but
am too concerned about the steel rebar (spalling and drilling holes) so
then decided to use treated 4x4 and accept that they will rot over some
years. Now I'm wondering about cutting strips from thick (non-reinforced)
concrete slabs and using those on end - they should be OK to drill and
there won't be significant sideloads.

You decided a month ago that you were going to mount it on adjustable
plastic things, you're not trying to get out of it are you?

I think you're overthinking it, what's with the drilling? - you don't need
to fix the shed down - it's 8ft by 6fy, it ain't going to blow away.

During a heavy storm some years back near here an entire 80ft long chicken shed and its full complement of chickens took off. Bits of the shed were found but the chickens just disappeared apparently

Just lay two or three rows of concrete slabs and re

st the shed on that,
there'll be sufficient air gap underneath for ventilation and mice, and
forget about the slab - the shed will rot away long before the base.