Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default something else for ukip supporters

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
But I'd point you at the union I belonged to where new equipment and
working practices came thick and fast. In broadcast.
Grab any new technology and make it work so it becomes essential. Then
negotiate a settlement - if needed - afterwards.

Point of ignorance.. did *new technology* in the broadcast industry
displace labour?

Yes, in many cases. Film, for example, requires more people than tape. But
in a continually expanding industry, you re-train them to a similar skill.

I turned down a job offer at Vinten, Bury St. Edmunds where they were
proposing to remote control TV cameras. ( 1968?) Thinking back, I doubt
that would displace anyone.

They have in areas where camera moves tend to be simple and repeative.
Like say a news studio.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.