Jeff

Default static on right channel of kenwood receiver

If you were refering to the pre/main out/in then please excuse, my mistake.
Jeff

"jakdedert" wrote in message
Uh...just what are saying 'not really' to? I'm not following your logic,
although the advice in your next post is sound. I was referring to
monitoring the pre/main jumpers. The idea below of crossing those in/outs
is a much more simple, elegant way to do so, though.

jak

"Jeff" wrote in message
Not really, the tone section is after preamp but before
amp. It will be connected before pre/main in/out if the
unit has that.
Jeff

"jakdedert" wrote in message
You need to be able to monitor the output of the pream somehow to see

if
it's noisey as well. However, since you stated that the headphone

output
was clean (right?), likely the problem is later in the signal chain.

If
not, one way to check that output is to record something from it on

tape
and
listen to the playback on known-good gear. Another way is to hook up

cheap set of computer speakers there. You will need the a RCA to mini
stereo plug adaptor to do so....

jak

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
Jeff,

It's a model 2120. It does have a pre-amp output, but I didn't test

it.
I'm
not really sure what I need to do.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Ok, if it has preamp output is it OK?
DC voltage across output when noisy?
Model? (strange the headphone would be OK)
Unless its only distorted/noisy when loaded.
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
Yes, I swapped speakers. I also moved the set over to the B

speaker
terminals. Guess what? Same problem.

"Jeff" wrote in message

Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best

way
describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in
properly.
It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
I was just reading the post about the marantz receiver

static
problem.
Mine's slightly different, in that it goes away when I

turn
the
balance
all
the way left, and my headphones work fine. I cleaned

every
conceivable
contact and circuit and still have the static. The

receiver's
32
years
old
so I am suspecting something has died or fried along the

way.
anyone
have
any ideas?

Lot's of possibilities. Dirty or worn speaker switch

contacts,
bad
relay
(if the old amp uses one) contacts, dried up caps, leaky
transistors.
Headphones require very little power to produce sound, so

some
problems
in
the output stage might not show up when using them. By

the
way,
do
you
have
sound through the bad channel along with the static, or

just
static?