The Natural Philosopher

Default Firewood loads and weights

Andrew wrote:

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:32:14 -0000, "Nick" wrote:

Hardwoods to avoid for poor burning (mostly simply high moisture

content) poplar, willow, elm, holm oak and turkey oak.

One of the best woods we have ever burnt was ELM !!
This was dry though, but burnt long and hot with little ash.

Yes, since the 70s a lot of elm has been available as dead standing
wood, also the beetle forms galleries under the bark which bird
subsequently knock off in their searches, so the pole desiccates
standing. Green elm has a 140% water content dwb (IIRC).

I have seen no elm worth burning standing since the 70's. Maxium height
before infestation kills is usually less than 30 ft, and that usually
corresponds to a bole of no more than 6" diameter.

and which are the good ones then when wet / recently cut and logged ?

Ash by a long margin then probably birch and sycamore.

I'll add field maple to that, otherwise basically that is my impression
from here as well, tho we have very little birch.

AJH