The Natural Philosopher

Default Firewood loads and weights

Nick wrote:

Hardwoods to avoid for poor burning (mostly simply high moisture

content) poplar, willow, elm, holm oak and turkey oak.

One of the best woods we have ever burnt was ELM !!
This was dry though, but burnt long and hot with little ash.

Are these to be avoided woods bad only when wet ?
and which are the good ones then when wet / recently cut and logged ?

Well, ash - good it seems.
Hawthorn...not bad.
Blackthorn/damson/wild cherry/all fruit trees - slow to catch and slow
to burn, makes great charcoal.
Oak - thats OK, but spits even when dry sometimes
Poplar? Mmm. Think its good. Haven't burnt any for some time tho.
Beech. Ditto. None around here.
Leylandii - fantabulous stuff, but somehat TOO inflammable.
Willow? Too wet to burn green easily, and may spit, but dries fast.
Elm? what elm? :-)
Elder. Good kindling once dried a bit.
Sycamore. Mmm. Think its dense and slow burning. good.
Field Maple. See sycamore. Very good.
That's pretty much all I have in the woodpile right now.
All basically burns once the fire is hot enough.

Nick