Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default Wall tile 2mm T-spacers

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 9:39:31 AM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
Against my better judgement I've been persuaded to get some 'metro tiles'
for the kitchen. I had no idea how ridiculously expensive the T-spacers
would be!

Tops Tiles sell 1000 for £10.60 but they only have 3mm ones. Anyway, I only
need about 300, probably fewer. One other UK supplier sold a reasonable
quantity for a reasonable price than tries to charge £7.99 postage! Ebay
has none at the moment - unless I go to Australia.

Before anyone suggests just cutting one of the legs from the normal X
types - not that easy. The cut leaves a bump that has to be filed flat.
Just using them as sticky-out pegs is asking for trouble if I want them
looking nicely lined up.

Does anyone know of a supplier that will sell these tiny bits of recycled
plastic for a reasonable price?

And while I'm in 'moaning mode', I had the daft notion that the back of
these fancy metro tiles would have some sort of mark so the half-way point
could be easily identified. No, nothing so sensible - at least not on those
I bought.

So a word to the wise; if your significant other sees a nice display of
these in a shop or catalogue, think again...

Having not heard of "Metro tiles" I just googled them. Yuk! Reminds me of
those old subterranean public toilets.

Mike

Yes indeed. In my kitchen I used some "subway" tiles which are like Metro but without the beveled edge. Even more like an old public toilet. Such is the power of "retro". However I squint at it I think it looks great. I did not go for the Metro as it looks less '30s and more '80s to me.

Simon.