Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall tile 2mm T-spacers

Against my better judgement I've been persuaded to get some 'metro tiles' for the kitchen. I had no idea how ridiculously expensive the T-spacers would be!

Tops Tiles sell 1000 for £10.60 but they only have 3mm ones. Anyway, I only need about 300, probably fewer. One other UK supplier sold a reasonable quantity for a reasonable price than tries to charge £7.99 postage! Ebay has none at the moment - unless I go to Australia.

Before anyone suggests just cutting one of the legs from the normal X types - not that easy. The cut leaves a bump that has to be filed flat. Just using them as sticky-out pegs is asking for trouble if I want them looking nicely lined up.

Does anyone know of a supplier that will sell these tiny bits of recycled plastic for a reasonable price?

And while I'm in 'moaning mode', I had the daft notion that the back of these fancy metro tiles would have some sort of mark so the half-way point could be easily identified. No, nothing so sensible - at least not on those I bought.

So a word to the wise; if your significant other sees a nice display of these in a shop or catalogue, think again...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/15 20:49, Janet Winslow wrote:
[...]

Ah ha - yes thank you - I have had a similar request.

The other problem is how to deal with sockets due to the bevelled edge.
My only sensible solution was to put (in theory) 10mm backbox spacer
collars on and grout to those leaving the sockets a bit proud but with a
clean seat to mesh to.

I'm thinking we could get a similar effect with a lot less aggro by
using a 2x1 format tile laid brick style.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Winslow wrote:

Against my better judgement I've been persuaded to get some 'metro
tiles' for the kitchen. I had no idea how ridiculously expensive the
T-spacers would be!

Just use normal 'X' spacers, poking out like this

http://blog.timesunion.com/homeresto...1/P1050672.JPG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2015 22:46, Andy Burns wrote:
Janet Winslow wrote:

Against my better judgement I've been persuaded to get some 'metro
tiles' for the kitchen. I had no idea how ridiculously expensive the
T-spacers would be!

Just use normal 'X' spacers, poking out like this

http://blog.timesunion.com/homeresto...1/P1050672.JPG

Yup that is the way I always use the spacers...

(also make them reusable as well)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Winslow wrote:

Against my better judgement I've been persuaded to get some 'metro
tiles' for the kitchen. I had no idea how ridiculously expensive the
T-spacers would be!

Just use normal 'X' spacers, poking out like this

http://blog.timesunion.com/homeresto...1/P1050672.JPG

Yup that is the way I always use the spacers...

(also make them reusable as well)

Or get a pack of Aldi plastic plant labels. About 1mm thick IIRC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Having not heard of "Metro tiles" I just googled them. Yuk! Reminds me of
those old subterranean public toilets.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Janet Winslow writes:
Against my better judgement I've been persuaded to get some 'metro tiles' for the kitchen. I had no idea how ridiculously expensive the T-spacers would be!
Tops Tiles sell 1000 for £10.60 but they only have 3mm ones. Anyway, I only need about 300, probably fewer. One other UK supplier sold a reasonable quantity for a reasonable price than tries to charge £7.99 postage! Ebay has none at the moment - unless I go to Australia.

You need to watch Topps Tiles prices. They can be very good prices on some
stock tiles, but any savings can be wiped out if you buy the all the other
things there (adhesive, spacers, trim strips, etc).

When I did my bathroom 10-15 years ago, I think I got the spacers from B&Q
in a sale (and I certainly used 2mm ones).

Before anyone suggests just cutting one of the legs from the normal X types - not that easy. The cut leaves a bump that has to be filed flat. Just using them as sticky-out pegs is asking for trouble if I want them looking nicely lined up.

Like others have said, use them poking out. Then they are reusable, although
you need more.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 9:39:31 AM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
[...]

Yes indeed. In my kitchen I used some "subway" tiles which are like Metro but without the beveled edge. Even more like an old public toilet. Such is the power of "retro". However I squint at it I think it looks great. I did not go for the Metro as it looks less '30s and more '80s to me.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Janet Winslow writes:
[...]

You tile one wall, then take the spacers out and use them on the next wall,
if anything, you need less.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Janet Winslow wrote:
Before anyone suggests just cutting one of the legs from the normal X
types - not that easy. The cut leaves a bump that has to be filed flat.
Just using them as sticky-out pegs is asking for trouble if I want them
looking nicely lined up.

Use flush cutting wire cutters. A cheap pair from Maplin etc will be ok.

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Winslow wrote:

Against my better judgement I've been persuaded to get some 'metro
tiles' for the kitchen. I had no idea how ridiculously expensive the
T-spacers would be!

Just use normal 'X' spacers, poking out like this

http://blog.timesunion.com/homeresto...1/P1050672.JPG

Yup that is the way I always use the spacers...

(also make them reusable as well)

Or get a pack of Aldi plastic plant labels. About 1mm thick IIRC

Or even cheaper a box of matches, about 2mm square

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Winslow writes:
[...]

Quite, you only need more if you do a lot at once.

The idea of putting them in as designed is fundamentally flawed by the fact that tiles are simply not entirely regular in size. IRL you need to cope with slight misalignment.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Janet Winslow writes:
[...]

I find the spacers let you do that since they have a slightly different
thickness across the width of a leg from the height of a leg - so
twisting the occasional one, or pairing up a couple on top of each other
allows sub spacer thickness tweaks.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2015 20:49, Janet Winslow wrote:
Against my better judgement I've been persuaded to get some 'metro tiles' for the kitchen.

I had no idea how ridiculously expensive the T-spacers would be!

Pardon my ignorance but why would you need T shaped spacers? Wouldn't
ordinary X shaped ones do just as well? Used poking in they can be
removed before grouting and used again.

This is the method I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmb4Xrv4PTU

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2015 04:26, soup wrote:
On 28/05/2015 20:49, Janet Winslow wrote:
Against my better judgement I've been persuaded to get some 'metro
tiles' for the kitchen.

I had no idea how ridiculously expensive the T-spacers would be!

Pardon my ignorance but why would you need T shaped spacers? Wouldn't
ordinary X shaped ones do just as well? Used poking in they can be
removed before grouting and used again.

This is the method I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmb4Xrv4PTU

Because the tiles are not square - they are rectangular so the tiles in
a row overlap the ones in the adjacent rows. Much in the same way as
laying bricks in a wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Winslow writes:
[...]

IME spacers can be removed after an hour, so you'd have to be a bloody
fast tiler to need a jumbo pack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2015 09:52, alan_m wrote:
On 30/05/2015 04:26, soup wrote:

This is the method I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmb4Xrv4PTU

Because the tiles are not square - they are rectangular so the tiles in
a row overlap the ones in the adjacent rows. Much in the same way as
laying bricks in a wall.

Fair enough, but why couldn't ordinary X shaped ones be used poking in
only slightly adapted for brick type bond?

A la :- http://postimg.org/image/6omuybfqx/

Tile spacers Stephen[_11_] UK diy 12 June 8th 10 09:16 AM
Use spacers on shower wall tile? muzician21 Home Repair 10 May 25th 09 07:40 PM
Use spacers on shower wall tile? muzician21 Home Ownership 10 May 25th 09 07:40 PM
How do you use tile spacers on tile with jagged edges? Mikepier Home Repair 4 December 28th 07 06:40 PM
Installing wall tile... Move electrical outlet level to new wall? Al Kondo Home Repair 3 February 17th 05 03:51 PM