bigmike

Default static on right channel of kenwood receiver

I meant to say tap on the board lightly, not tap on the board lighting

"bigmike" wrote in message news:...

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
I have done a pretty thorough visual inspection. Don't see any bad

solder
at
the speaker terminals. No obvious burn marks or smells. I really don't

think
the receiver is worth the effort to fix unless it's something fairly

simple,
which it apparently isn't. I am, however, going to go through the boards

one
more time with a magnifying glass to see if there's something I missed.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Most of the time, a problem like this has no visual indications. A
transistor or cap can be defective without any outward signs of a problem.
Something you might want to try is tapping on the board lighting with the
end of something plastic, like the reverse end of an ink pin, while the

amp
is on. See if you hear the noise problem change. A bad solder joint could

be
just about anywhere on the board, not just at the speaker connections, and
cause the problem. If you have limited abilities at troubleshooting, then
it's true, you will have to make a judgement call on whether it's worth
repairing or not. But, if your interested in learning more about
electronics, this amp would make a nice place to start.

"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
Yes, I swapped speakers. I also moved the set over to the B speaker
terminals. Guess what? Same problem.

Then it's time to start trouble shooting. No particular "common part"

is
the cause of that problem. Any switch on the front of that unit can

have
dirty contacts and cause static. Be sure to try them all to see if

they
have
an effect, including the tone controls. They all have seperate

contacts
for
each channel. If it's not the switches, then I would check the board

for
any
bad solder joints. After that, it requires basic troubleshooting

skills,
few basic pieces of test gear, and some basic electronic skills. By

the
way,
what does this static sound like? Is it like a hiss, or is it a frying
sound? A frying sound tend to point one toward a bad transistor(s) in

the
output stage. Maybe you could explain the sound a little better.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to
describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in

properly.
It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
I was just reading the post about the marantz receiver

static
problem.
Mine's slightly different, in that it goes away when I turn

the
balance
all
the way left, and my headphones work fine. I cleaned every
conceivable
contact and circuit and still have the static. The

receiver's
32
years
old
so I am suspecting something has died or fried along the

way.
anyone
have
any ideas?

Lot's of possibilities. Dirty or worn speaker switch contacts,

bad
relay
(if the old amp uses one) contacts, dried up caps, leaky
transistors.
Headphones require very little power to produce sound, so some
problems
in
the output stage might not show up when using them. By the

way,
do
you
have
sound through the bad channel along with the static, or just

static?