Andrew Heggie

Default Firewood loads and weights

On 28 Nov 2003 12:52:39 GMT, wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Hardwoods to avoid for poor burning (mostly simply high moisture
content) poplar, willow, elm, holm oak and turkey oak.

...but if well dried/seasoned are OK.

Yes, I pointed out earlier in the thread there is not much to choose
between logs of the same moisture content, though the bulk can be
pertinent. Certain species are slower to dry though, try taking cut
and split oak and sycamore into a dry room and note the rate of weight
loss.

Matches are made from aspen, but wax is added to sustain combustion
and one, I believe the UK's biggest, supplier of kindling, uses oven
dried poplar

AJH