Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

On 01/05/2015 17:01, whisky-dave wrote:

8

its included in the price of the hardware.

Not really. At the weekend I installed the latest version
yosmite (free) on my Mac mini I brought new in 2010. Before that
I'd installed mavericks (free) I instaleld phots for free last
night, photos didn;t exist when the hardware was made, although
prhaps that's just a name change.

Where do you think Apple used to get their money from before they
started creaming off the app store?

My point was that I doubt much of the money I paid for the mac mini
in 2010 went into the delevopment of yosmite. Before snow leaopard
most of the OS's you had to buy unless you got them free with the
hardware. So NOW the money they cream off the i devices and
software/.AP store is also used.

Upgrades are only free until Apple decide your hardware is too
old and that they want you to buy new hardware,
or keep yuor old hardware.

then you find the upgrade wont install. This happens even when
the hardware is actually quite capable of running the upgrade
as can be seen on youtube where people have hacked the upgrade
to run on hardware to old to run it.

yes but you can run into other problems so those that want an
easy life will use recommened OS's for the hardware. In most
cases it's a waste of time running the latest software on out fo
date machine whether it's mac or PC. Can you think of any
advantages to running XP on a new laptop ? MS don't support it.

What are you on about? That is the exact opposite of what anyone
would want to do.

So why are so many still running XP ? 25% ? I wouldn't and can't run
yosmite on a Mac plus. So little point in doing so. The only time I
came across this so called problem was with my G4. It;d worlked on
9.02 right up to 10.4 but couldn't install 10.5 because Apple
considered that the 500MHz was too slow and requirement was for a
867MHz processor. But using the advice gioven on line it could be
installed but not recommented, but as I had a dual core 500MHz I
installed it. Seems to work OK but a friend that had a 867MHz tower
noticed a bit of a slow donw when he did his. I can't see much point
in installing a new OS that slows things down. I admit that when I
fist installed OS X 10.01 it was pig slow far slower than OS9. I
stayed at 0s9 until at least 10.2 came out.

You will see the point when they do any of the following..

stop releasing security fixes
release apps that use stuff in the new OS but not in yours

You have to remember Microsoft develops and sells *software*,
Yep, how many differnt versions for teh same computer ? MS
disable certain aspects of the cheaper software installs, because
they don't want all their customers getting the full value of
their product.

They sell different versions, you can buy whichever one you want.

why have differnt versions that's the point I can undertand 2
versions but 7 ! They'll copy Apple soon anyway and just have 2
versions. They have already done so by calling it windows 10 , 9
would have been seen as lower than 10 or Apples OS X. 11 would have
been suspicious. Why they missed windows 9 well you take a guess at
that.

MS disable some aspects of the software the day you purchase it,

Which ones?

Then why have difernt versions if nothing is missing ?

You buy an OS and M$ do not disable anything.
You know what you are buying.

Apple let you use it on any sytem it will install on. Apple
will disable things after 5,6, or 7 years.

They disable it from installing, you can noble it and install it
and it will work perfectly well but then Apple doesn't get a
hardware sale.

Old Apple copmputers tend to work far longer than others do, which is
one of teh reason Aplpe products keep thier valuse far more than PCs
do especially labtops.

Rubbish.
Old apple computers cost so much to replace people don't throw them away
like they do with windows PCs.
You can get a perfectly good windows laptop for £150 or less so people
just treat them as disposable items.

Apple gets *hardware* developed and sells it. (They don't
develop much hardware themselves.)

apart from some chips, such as the specail controller for the
retina displays. and a lopt of the ipad/iphone chips.

They don't develop hardware, they sub contract it out.

They do the A chips for the ipad and iphone they develop the chip and
get intel or someone to make it.

They didn't design the original Intel macs at all, Intel did it.

Yes they did Intel designed the chips. The foirst imacs had PPC
chips intel didn't design those macs and niether did IBM.

Read what I said instead of making stuff up.