Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish; Laptops

On 30/04/2015 18:35, stuart noble wrote:
On 30/04/2015 09:58, newshound wrote:
On 29/04/2015 22:16, Simon Brown wrote:

What do the panel think of Chromebooks?

Much more limited than a laptop.

Could you elaborate please :-)

I'd agree with that. Wife has one and she prefers it to a full laptop,
for basic shopping/browsing etc. But it is based on saving everything to
the cloud, convenient in some ways but tends to tie you into the Google
ecosystem / file formats etc. There *are* work-arounds, but if you are
used to Windows / Office it is more stuff to learn. They are light,
quick to fire up (but her battery is now very limited so needs to be on
mains most of the time) and they are really most useful when you have a
wifi connection.

There are places where they could be excellent (schools in Africa, say)
but for my money they are not as convenient as a cheap android tablet
(plus keyboard, if you want one). They might still have a price edge
over a full laptop but TBH quite decent small laptops without optical
drives are no longer that expensive.

Since TMH uses Excel, it might be interesting to see if the Google
spreadsheet works for him.

http://www.gcflearnfree.org/googlespreadsheets/8.2

If so, the Chromebook (or an Android tablet) could be a no brainer

It seems easier than Excel :-)