Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Age-Related Aches and Pains

On 2015-04-29, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 29 Apr 2015 08:31:11 GMT, Huge wrote:

Almost ceratainly because a weekly shop will come to more than

the
contactless limit of £20/transaction, even if the EPOS system

can
handle contactless payment.

That is a completely stupid limit.

Indeed. It should be £5.

Fiver is a bit low IMHO. Can you escape from a Costa/Starbucks or WHY
with a sandwhich and coffee for less than a fiver? The "all you can
eat" buffet restraunts in Newcastles China Town are around £7 inc a
drink.

I agree £20 is too high a tenner would be better.

The limit should be 1/4 of what you're prepared to have stolen if you
lose the card - the cards can be used 4 times without on-line verification,
so if you lose it and don't report it immediately, the finder can steal
4 x the limit. I rarely have £50 in cash in my pocket, so a limit around
a tenner is probably right.

Problem is, there is market pressure to increase it, from people who aren't
aware of the implications of an increased limit.

I'd prefer to set my own limit, whats wrong with that ?

I use my card about twice a week and most days I don;t take it out anyway.