Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Completely serious angle grinder question

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 01:02:09 +0100, GB wrote:

One tip to add to all advice given:

For all 'aggressive' power tools[1] I wear a riggers or other medium
tough glove on my free hand. The idea is that should an error result in
inadvertent contact with the moving disk/blade/cutter then the first
contact is not with your skin but with some basic inanimate protection,
giving you the chance to withdraw your hand (rapidly) before serious
damage is done.

I think the withdrawal had better be damn rapid! I'd say the score will
be Angle grinder: 1 - Glove : 0.

I'd agree, but I can see the logic.

For a light graze or similar snick of your finger, it'll be the
difference between blood and a wake-up call. Obviously, for anything more
- umm - determined, it's going to make bugger all difference.

Rather more to the point, though, where the bloody hell are you buying
rigger gloves that you'd realistically call "medium tough"?

Last few pairs I've bought have been about as tough as a pair of blue
nitriles. Never mind shrugging off angle-grinders, they've not even coped
with brambles. Always assuming all the seams have actually been intact to
start with.