Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Crazy idea number 423

In message , News
writes
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
F Murtz wrote:
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free
150 watts.

Not constant, only when using water.

He could use water constantly, if you regard generating power from
water as "using" it.

Realistically, though, could it work, for those with high incoming
mains water pressure? Obviously not constantly, particularly if
metered (!), but could not the incoming main be routed via a dynamo of
some type, perhaps to charge batteries which would provide a constant
power source?

Probably only practical for those home all day (more/regular water
usage), but would the power generated be sufficient to make the project
worthwhile?

Someone here (Tim?) has high water pressure. Project for this weekend?
You've got three days, too! :-)

Not sure if that is me. You all know how challenging I find mathematics.

Starter for 1. Annual consumption around 227cu.m, pressure around 5bar
static. Presumably 1bar or so will be needed to overcome local pipe
losses and create the draw off flow.

I'm not convinced of the *physics* as I don't see energy stored in the
supply.

--
Tim Lamb