Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Age-Related Aches and Pains

In article , Chris J Dixon
scribeth thus
Simon Brown wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

A good manager is a leader whose job is to get the best from the team,

That's the theory, anyway. In reality its nothing like that.

I've long had concerns about what makes a good manager, having
experienced quite a lot of managers during my engineering career.

I've never worked with anybody who began straight off having
trained as a "manager", indeed can't quite see how anybody could
do this.

However, the other end of the scale, where promotion is based
only on engineering ability, is not without snags. There was a
time when my chief engineer and engineering manager, whilst both
excellent engineers, had no management skills. This was such a
shame, as their real talents were wasted, and their ineptitude
diminished the work of those in their charge.

Chris

I haven't worked at that many places but I have seen good and very bad
management. One of the best was at Cambridge systems technology who used
to make the Audiolab range of hi-fi equipment's and that was run very
well indeed by Phil Swift who now owns Spendor loudspeakers in Hailsham
he had that skill of getting what he wanted out of the workforce and
keeping them very loyal whilst about it, and quite well paid too

Also another notable was Audix Broadcast now no more, a very pleasant
place to work also...

--
Tony Sayer