Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Age-Related Aches and Pains

On Wednesday, 22 April 2015 15:03:54 UTC+1, DJC wrote:
On 22/04/15 08:02, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/04/15 07:44, DJC wrote:
On 22/04/15 07:27, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/04/15 02:07, MM wrote:

Well, they were the ones who became managers. There's always one.

Not always true.

In academia, you might find the dept run more or less day to day by some
"administrator" who slides in sideways and has no academic
qualifications at all. Boy does that **** people off.

Well, better than than leaving administration to academics.

It's more than admin.

Nothing puts a professor's nose out of joint than having an admin person
approve his annual leave request.

As I said, academics are status concious, not always with good reason.

it depends on whether or not the admin know what's going on.
Yesterday the admin department sent an email on where to take used batteries for reclying.
They got the room number wrong and the exact location wrong.
They added an E to the front of our room numbers too.
The fire marshel list on the H&S website is 4 years out of date, some of those listed as fire marshels don't even live in this country any more.

More seriously, the admin person does not understand the business of the
department and thus frequently comes up with stupid pronouncements.

Some do, others know a lot more than the academics.

But the problem is they purely use paper qualifications to work out who knows the most and who should be put in charge or who.