Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Brown[_2_] Simon Brown[_2_] is offline

Default Age-Related Aches and Pains

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Simon Brown" writes:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Having read this sub-thread, I feel very lucky to have had a number of
very good managers in my career (not all, but many of them), and I
believe
I have been a good manager myself, learning from the better ones, and
also
from the bad ones (what not to do;-).

A good manager is a leader whose job is to get the best from the team,

That's the theory, anyway. In reality its nothing like that.

understanding what drives each team member, what hinders them,

Very few can do anything like that. Few even understand that about
themselves.

[...]

Wow - have you never worked for a good manager?

I have actually. He was notorious for saying 'what ho' as he passed
you in the corridor and we were very amused when he asked
someone who one of the more unusual unkempt bears of a
person was. He'd been working there for years when he asked.

Left the ones who replaced him when he retired for
dead as far as it being a very decent place to work for.

One of his replacements managed to produce a full
scale mutiny with the organisation having to send in
some fool when we were talking about a bus trip to
head office to get something done about him.

He did get the bums rush.