Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rust spot on car

In article ,
Fredxxx wrote:
Years of my father battling a crappy rustbucket Fiat when I was a kid
taught me none on the magic remedies work, with the possible exception
of phosphoric acid which almost seemed to do some good. Jenolite was
crap. Zinc preparations were useless.

I think Jenolite has moved on since your father's day. It now contains
your phosphoric acid.
http://jenolite.net/what.html

I think it always has done.

The snag with any of these preparations is they just treat the surface
rust. Just sand it down after it has dried to see what I mean. You'll get
back to rust. It might well work ok on fresh thin rust - but not on that
which has been there for some time. Hence the instructions telling you to
wire brush it. So with a spot on a car bodywork, you'd do more damage
attacking it with a wire brush than simply sanding down the effected area
to bare bright steel.

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.