Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxxx Fredxxx is offline

Default Rust spot on car

On 10/04/2015 14:26, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/04/15 13:56, Mark Allread wrote:
Can anyone recommend (through personal use and not hearsay/web hype) a
good rust killer plus primer to use on a small awkwardly located rust
spot on a car please. Awkward in that its on the crease of a panel and
under the rear light cluster which I'll need to take out to properly cure
it.

The top coat will be a silver grey metallic fwiw.

Ta

If you can clean it fairly well (70% bare metal) it's hard IME to beat
red oxide primer. Them work up as you wish with other paints.

Red oxide paint is no longer made with lead oxide. So is red through
pigment and purely for marketing purposes.

Years of my father battling a crappy rustbucket Fiat when I was a kid
taught me none on the magic remedies work, with the possible exception
of phosphoric acid which almost seemed to do some good. Jenolite was
crap. Zinc preparations were useless.

I think Jenolite has moved on since your father's day. It now contains
your phosphoric acid.
http://jenolite.net/what.html

Perhaps a local sacrificial zinc anode might help? :-)