Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default I thought this was a DIY site

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Huge
wrote:
I remember London trams, the farthing and petrol at 2/6d a gallon,
but I'm not yet old or frail.

London trams? They exist today, don't they? :-)

I too am far from old or frail but I remember sugar and sweets being
rationed.

Rationing finally finished in 1954, so in order for you to remember
that, you have to be pushing 70. Take it from me, you're old.

Even older if you remember petrol at 2/6 a gallon. Last time it was that
low was 1949. Went up by 11d in '50.

I do remember getting 5 gallons of commercial petrol - enough to fill an
Austin 7 - for a quid, though. 'Proper' petrol nearer 5 bob a gallon.

'Top brand' fags were 5 bob a packet then.

When I was at University (1960) the machine sold Capstan at 2/- for 10.
The price went up to 2/1d --- and it didn't matter which order you put the
coins it. A really up-to-date machine. So I think your 5/- a packet was
much later

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18