Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default I thought this was a DIY site

On 01/04/2015 10:11, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 31 March 2015 15:37:18 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 31/03/2015 12:47, Tim Streater wrote:
Trams are expensive and more so if they need their own land (i.e. so as
not to be mixed with other traffic).

They also work well if run through pedestrianised areas, both keeping
them separate from other traffic and putting them close to where people
want them.

Like amsterdam ?

I don't know that city. My only visit to the Netherlands was by mistake,
when I missed my turn on a motorway. I was thinking of Strasbourg:

http://goo.gl/maps/PujcD

although that is only one of several places where they seem to work well.

They also need to rely on the city
having been laid out with the possibility of trams in mind when it was
built, which is not the case for most of the UK.

Again, not a problem if the streets have been pedestrianised.

But hwo would somewhere like mcdonalds or any large supermarket get their deliveries ?...

It is normal for delivery vehicles to be permitted into pedestrianised
areas, if there is no alternative. Sometime the permitted hours are
limited to early morning or overnight.

--
Colin Bignell