Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default dishwasher detergent clogging drain

In message
-septembe
r.org, Tim+ writes
"Nick" wrote:
"Rusty" wrote in message
I need to put rods through my drain about every year or so due to
dishwasher detergent congealing and clogging the drain.
Using "Finish" (top brand ?) tablet detergent.
We rarely use the sink which drains to the same path, so it doesn't
get much "flush though".
I'm assuming when the dishwasher drains, it re-congeals when the
expelled "liquid" gets cold.

Any suggestions ?
Maybe a liquid dishwasher detergent ?

Thanks.

More likely either (a) fatty solids from the items being washed or (b) a
problem with the drainage.

I would have thought that dishwasher detergent would be most unlikely to
congeal. As Nick says, most likely to be greasy plates. Lamb fat in
particular is great at setting in drains.

Yeah, I've ever noticed dishwasher detergent ever doing that.

Fat does sound more likely, though I'd be a bit surprised if fat in the
dishwasher water did it? I thought it was from people pouring fat down
sink, or from the hand wash water?

Fat can certainly be a problem though. A while after moving into this
house the drain outside the kitchen blocked a bit downstream of the U
bend. (the drain turned 90 degrees as well right after it.)

Eventually cleared it with a drain cleaning attachment on a pressure
washer. Great big lumps of fat floated down from it - the drain must
have been at least 50% blocked with it I reckon
--
Chris French