Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Not oiling a wooden worktop (kitchen)

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 8:35:26 AM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 05/03/15 08:21, fred wrote:
On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 8:42:40 PM UTC, Capitol wrote:

Consider tiles on 1" WBP plywood. Totally heatproof, easy to clean, use
wood edging, varnished. Refinish wood after 20 years. Can be cracked if
you drop cast iron dishes on them, but easy to repair if you have spare
tiles. Cracked 1 tile in 40yrs.

Soooooooooooooooooooo 1960's

Ah - then it's due back...

Just waiting for orange and brown decor to resurface...

This is why fashion is ********. I think the real reason people sneer at
old stuff is that, if you see old stuff, it's, well, old.

Back in the day everyone was happy with it.

But that is why it comes back into fashion. To the new generations it isn't old looking,they haven't seen it before, but it is to those who experienced it first time round.

Coincidentally I was in a works canteen yesterday and the tables had a beech frame with a beech surround to the top containing red tiles. To my eyes it screamed Naff.

Mind you they also had grey ash desks in their offices. A short lived fad of 20 odd years ago.