Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Reducing thickness of reclaimed parquet flooring

wrote in message
Hi
We have taken our hall parquet up and want to put it in the living room -
we have loads so we know it wont be an issue of running out!

We are looking at using a thicknesser to run them all through - any
recommendations on the best type to go for (and not cost the earth) to
even them out and remove the bitumen?
Many thanks

Leave the bitumen on, you can get ahesives that glue to bitumen.
Just glue them down and sand when in position (hire a floor sander).
You will need a belt sander to do the bits close to the wall.
Ideally put skirtings on after sanding.

These old blocks were all sanded after installation.

BTW, the bitumen may be the only damp proofing the floor has, so you need to
think about what you will do in the hallway. You definitely have a problem
if the blocks were lifting (in the hallway). Indicates damp coming up.