Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reducing thickness of reclaimed parquet flooring

I have around 12 sq.m of reclaimed parquet flooring (pitch pine) with
each board around 12" x 3" x 1". I want to reduce the thickness of
this to something much less.

I'm intending to use the boards to lay a parquet floor over concrete.
The concrete floor is level with existing parquet flooring in two
adjoining rooms so I'd like to reduce the thickness of the boards
before I lay them so that there is only a small height difference
between the floors in the different rooms. An incidental benefit would
be to remove the residual bitumen on the reclaimed wood.

What is the cheapest practical way of doing this and with what tool?
I'm happy to rent something (thicknesser, band saw?) from HSS, or buy
a cheap (£100'ish) tool for the job or get someone else to do it.
Also, given that I'm laying on to a flat level surface, what is the
minimum thickness people would recommend for the boards?

Thanks in advance!

Colin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I've been through this with a friend of mine who had a garage full of
these things taken from the Bristol Corn Exchange IIRC.

The first thing to consider is that the boards almost certainly need to
be standardised to, say, 11.75" x 2.75" to ensure that they are
identical. Trying to lay a floor with slightly varying sizes would be
frustrating in the extreme. This can be done easily on a sawbench, but 2
passes and 400+ boards is not trivial (and ideally you would trim all 4
edges, so double that figure).

You could also run them twice through a sawbench with the blade set to
1.5" height to reduce the thickness, say another 800 passes......, but
the problem here is that pitch pine is very resinous and will gum up the
teeth pretty quickly. You would also need to abandon all H&S guidelines
by removing the guard and riving knife. Shock horror

A thicknesser would be good in theory but you may find the blade won't
cope with the bitumen/pitch (and possibly the odd metal fixing?). The
bandsaw is the logical answer in some ways but I don't have too much
experience in that area so I'll keep quiet.

My friend decided to lay his as they were and I didn't have the heart to
tell him how awful the end result was, or comment on the time it took.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Either pay a professional parquet flooring contractor to come and do the
floor with new blocks, or throw the ones you have in a skip and get a
carpet, either way, make sure they all end up in a skip as they are more
trouble than they are worth.
Believe me, only heartache and many hundreds of wasted pounds lie down this
road, and the result is always, always horrendous.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but variations in width, length, *and*
thickness would make it too labour intensive to be justifiable on any
grounds other than sentimental. The first two dimensions could probably
be standardised by spending an 8 hour day on a sawbench, but the
thicknesss is the killer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb, 10:50, Stuart Noble
wrote:
Phil L wrote:
wrote:
[...]

thicknesss is the killer.- Hide quoted text -

I've laid reclaimed parquet and it's turned out fantastically well -
you have to buy it all from the same batch, but you'd have to be
pretty naive or stupid to do otherwise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 13 Feb, 10:50, Stuart Noble
wrote:
Phil L wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Same batch doesn't mean a lot when it's been on the floor for 100 years
and has shrunk to varying degrees. A mm or two variation would drive you
crazy over a 12 sq.m surface
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb, 16:39, Stuart Noble
On 13 Feb, 10:50, Stuart Noble
wrote:
Phil L wrote:
wrote:
[...]

crazy over a 12 sq.m surface- Hide quoted text -

Well, I've done one 60m2 and one 35m2 floor, and neither was a problem
at all - it may have helped that these were stable tropical hardwoods
(wenge and teak).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi
We have taken our hall parquet up and want to put it in the living room -
we have loads so we know it wont be an issue of running out!

We are looking at using a thicknesser to run them all through - any
recommendations on the best type to go for (and not cost the earth) to
even them out and remove the bitumen?
Many thanks

Leave the bitumen on, you can get ahesives that glue to bitumen.
Just glue them down and sand when in position (hire a floor sander).
You will need a belt sander to do the bits close to the wall.
Ideally put skirtings on after sanding.

These old blocks were all sanded after installation.

BTW, the bitumen may be the only damp proofing the floor has, so you need to
think about what you will do in the hallway. You definitely have a problem
if the blocks were lifting (in the hallway). Indicates damp coming up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would be tempted to get a cheap table saw and set the fence to allow the blade to cut just below the level of the bitumen. This assumes the edges are fairly sound and not gummed up.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2015 13:52, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I would be tempted to get a cheap table saw and set the fence to
allow the blade to cut just below the level of the bitumen. This
assumes the edges are fairly sound and not gummed up.

Richard

I think that would be my approach too. I'd set the blade depth to half
the width of the parquet and do it in 2 passes. Yes, you'll have a
slight ridge in the middle, but nothing significant, and it would enable
you to hold on to the wood as it passes through the blade. Not something
I'd enjoy doing myself, but I have done similar things in the past, and
still have a full complement of fingers.
As already mentioned, no blade will tolerate bitumen, it melts too readily
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 12:39:08 PM UTC, wrote:
Hi
We have taken our hall parquet up and want to put it in the living room - we have loads so we know it wont be an issue of running out!

We are looking at using a thicknesser to run them all through - any recommendations on the best type to go for (and not cost the earth) to even them out and remove the bitumen?
Many thanks

Relay them with bitumen, no need to remove the old bitch.
If you've got more than enough, no need to plane, just reject the uneven ones.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
On 04/03/2015 13:52, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I would be tempted to get a cheap table saw and set the fence to
allow the blade to cut just below the level of the bitumen. This
assumes the edges are fairly sound and not gummed up.

Richard

I think that would be my approach too. I'd set the blade depth to half
the width of the parquet and do it in 2 passes. Yes, you'll have a
slight ridge in the middle, but nothing significant, and it would enable
you to hold on to the wood as it passes through the blade. Not something
I'd enjoy doing myself, but I have done similar things in the past, and
still have a full complement of fingers.
As already mentioned, no blade will tolerate bitumen, it melts too readily

Band saw might be easier to control and waste less wood. Needs 1/2 inch
blade to get a straight cut.

Alternatively white spirit will soften bitumen. However I'd heat and
scrape first to reduce the amount of white spirit used. Maybe a
vapour/spray bath might be feasible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi
We have taken our hall parquet up and want to put it in the living room -
we have loads so we know it wont be an issue of running out!

We are looking at using a thicknesser to run them all through - any
recommendations on the best type to go for (and not cost the earth) to
even them out and remove the bitumen?
Many thanks

I had a similar conundrum 30+ years ago. Tongue & grooved Pitch pine blocks
9x3x1.5 inches. From a church that was being demolished. Laid in 1908, don't
know what might have been used as adhesive. Black tarry stuff, possibly
bitumen. All filthy dirty and some,little, traffic wear. The church had
little roof left.

I made a sledge to hold 8 blocks at a time. This passed through the
thicknesser to skim the adhesive off. Adhesive quite brittle and played
havoc with the cutters. These were no tct cutters. Being brittle the stuff
flew all over the workshop but did not adhere to the cutters.
After all done repeated the process and planed the face to thickness.
Made a couple of scrapers from old hacksaw blade to clean the t&g. This done
by hand.
Cleaned up 8000 blocks.
Laid by a professional and it is superb to this day.
In answer to your question (1) hire one or (2) find a local craftsman who is
willing to have a go.

HTH
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil L, Rerence wrote:
rubbish. Ive laid many reclaimed parquet floors and end result is gorgeous.
The key is not to be sucked into paying 30-45.00 a metre. Plenty of cheap
reclaimed parquet out there I just bought 120 m2 for £500 so 4.00 a m2. 1a
week cleaning them makes it 8.00 per m2... a bargain.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ng-459242-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bolt did you leave a bit of bitumen on the bottom?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well that is a new treatment for a sore bottom I'd not considered at all!
:-)

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
Bolt did you leave a bit of bitumen on the bottom?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 09:25:43 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
wrote in message
Bolt did you leave a bit of bitumen on the bottom?

Well that is a new treatment for a sore bottom I'd not considered at all!
:-)

Brian

it's good for eczema apparently

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Well that is a new treatment for a sore bottom I'd not considered at all!
:-)

Stockholm tar was commonly used in agriculture.
In my youth! Lambs tails were cut off with a sharp knife and the blood
vessels sealed with a hot piece of iron.
The tar was then applied to protect the wound.

We have progressed to rubber rings!

--
Tim Lamb