Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Nick is offline

Default Reducing thickness of reclaimed parquet flooring

wrote in message
Hi
We have taken our hall parquet up and want to put it in the living room -
we have loads so we know it wont be an issue of running out!

We are looking at using a thicknesser to run them all through - any
recommendations on the best type to go for (and not cost the earth) to
even them out and remove the bitumen?
Many thanks

I had a similar conundrum 30+ years ago. Tongue & grooved Pitch pine blocks
9x3x1.5 inches. From a church that was being demolished. Laid in 1908, don't
know what might have been used as adhesive. Black tarry stuff, possibly
bitumen. All filthy dirty and some,little, traffic wear. The church had
little roof left.

I made a sledge to hold 8 blocks at a time. This passed through the
thicknesser to skim the adhesive off. Adhesive quite brittle and played
havoc with the cutters. These were no tct cutters. Being brittle the stuff
flew all over the workshop but did not adhere to the cutters.
After all done repeated the process and planed the face to thickness.
Made a couple of scrapers from old hacksaw blade to clean the t&g. This done
by hand.
Cleaned up 8000 blocks.
Laid by a professional and it is superb to this day.
In answer to your question (1) hire one or (2) find a local craftsman who is
willing to have a go.

HTH
Nick.