Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Reducing thickness of reclaimed parquet flooring

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 1:44:39 PM UTC, fred wrote:
On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 12:43:04 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 04/03/15 12:39, wrote:
Hi We have taken our hall parquet up and want to put it in the living
room - we have loads so we know it wont be an issue of running out!

We are looking at using a thicknesser to run them all through - any
recommendations on the best type to go for (and not cost the earth)
to even them out and remove the bitumen? Many thanks

I think a thicknesser is going to get gummed up by the bitumen.

He could keep the floor of the thicknesser well lubricated. There a various products on the market designed to ease the progress of highly resinated timbers through a thicknesser.

I'd be more worried about the length of them being a bit short to span the feed rollers.

He could make a carriage for them to allow them pass under the thicknesser. This is quite common if one wants to thickness very thin material. Sheet of 10mm ply with a low leading edge and low side walls and set the blocks into it.

Whoops. Didn't see the o.p. wanted to remove the bitumen.I imagine that would have to be scraped off by hand after being softened with an appropriate substance. (Petrol? Might be exciting)