Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Reducing thickness of reclaimed parquet flooring

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 12:43:04 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 04/03/15 12:39, wrote:
Hi We have taken our hall parquet up and want to put it in the living
room - we have loads so we know it wont be an issue of running out!

We are looking at using a thicknesser to run them all through - any
recommendations on the best type to go for (and not cost the earth)
to even them out and remove the bitumen? Many thanks

I think a thicknesser is going to get gummed up by the bitumen.

He could keep the floor of the thicknesser well lubricated. There a various products on the market designed to ease the progress of highly resinated timbers through a thicknesser.

I'd be more worried about the length of them being a bit short to span the feed rollers.

He could make a carriage for them to allow them pass under the thicknesser. This is quite common if one wants to thickness very thin material. Sheet of 10mm ply with a low leading edge and low side walls and set the blocks into it.