Posted to uk.misc,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default LED streetlamps - jobs for the boys

"Another John" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"ARW" wrote:

When? Where?

Sheffield?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/w...adproject.html

From that page:

Making Sheffield brighter

We are replacing the street lights with state of the art Light Emitting
Diode
(LED) technology. LEDs provide brighter 'white light' to improve
visibility
and safety as well as being energy efficient.

IMHO, this is wrong. LED lighting provides a hell of a lot more _glare_,
but (to me, strangely), less _illumination_. And there is a hell of an
increase in light pollution, too. At least, wherever I have seen LED
lighting (streets, business premises, domestic "security" lights, car
headlights, etc etc etc.

Further, these new street lights are going to have to stay working
flawlessly for a bloody long time, to justify the (I imagine) horrifying
expense that is going into installing them.

Well talk about timing. I got LED streetlights fitted today. New heads only.
And what pile of ****e they are. Not a patch on the new column and head LED
lamps in my parents village.

--
Adam