Posted to uk.misc,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

Default LED streetlamps - jobs for the boys

On 25/02/15 19:16, ARW wrote:
"Phi" wrote in message

They are replacing the cables because LED lamps take less current for
a given light output, so it was necessary to reduce the size of the
supply cables.

And I'll raise you a customer that said "why do we not not use 12V
instead of 240V then we could use really thin cables"

They possibly could:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knob-and-tube_wiring

SELV would be about the only way to get away with that now (as open bare
wires stretched across the room with lamps clamped on seem to still exist).

Those Victorians - no poncing about and I bet it kept the rats down -
even if it was only 100 odd volts (London had some very weird lighting
supplies at one time, run in bare wire along the front of buildings).