Posted to uk.misc,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default LED streetlamps - jobs for the boys

On 25/02/2015 14:00, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 13:34:40 +0000, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Why are councils re-laying all the cables and replacing all the
streetlamp poles for no ****ing reason? All they needed to do was to
change the lamp on the top. What a waste of millions of pounds of
council taxes. The cables worked fine. The poles were in perfect
condition.

Assuming LED lamps draw less power (and weigh less) then there's the
possibility that the council are substituting wires and poles with
something that uses less (or no) metal, and - given the prices decent
quality scrap metal fetches (copper in particular) are using the funds
raised to help pay for the replacements...

LED street lamps need a closer spacing than most other types to achieve
the required lighting levels. I wouldn't mind so much if my Council were
fitting LED lights, at least they could justify that on the long term
savings, but they have replaced lamp posts across the County and fitted
them with high pressure sodium lamps.

--
Colin Bignell