Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default OT - UKIP

On 12/02/15 15:46, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 12/02/15 14:46, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 12/02/2015 10:53, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/02/15 09:14, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 12/02/2015 04:12, harryagain wrote:
Something on the telly to watch.
http://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/c...rama_ukip_the/

The smear campaign continues.

Channel 4 did offer Nigel Farage the chance to reply in an interview
with Jon Snow to be shown after the programme. He has declined the
offer.

NOT addressed to you Colin - but a general muttering...

Labour f*ck up the economy *every time*[1] they get in.

The tories f*ck everyone over including the NHS every time.

The Libs had their chance but sold their bumhole to the highest bidder
then spent the next years lying over a barrel.

The Greens f*ck everything up without even being in power.

Now - tell me again why UKIP (or any other fringe party) are somehow
worse that all this?...

They want to take us out of the EU for a start. They also don't seem to
have any polices, other than opposition to immigration and the EU.

First of all, they have more policies than any other party. So I am not
sure where you get the idea that they have no policies, unless you read
the Guardian

Few that don't effectively come down to leave the EU and stop
immigration.

Secondly, name me one political party in the last 20 years that has
implemented the policies for which it got elected.

According to a BBC analysis in 2002, the Labour Party achieved nearly
80% of its 1997 election promises.

This, somewhat less independent, analysis claims a number of current
successes for the Conservatives

http://www.jeremylefroy.org.uk/conse...dges-delivered

I can only think of scrapping ID cards and getting the first £10,000 of
everybody's income tax free as successes for the LibDems, but they had
rather less scope for implementing their policies.

Thirdly, what dont you understand about libertarianism? It is a
philosophy that doesn't go for ideological pre-empting of future events:
It is a philosophy that preaches a small government adapting to
situations with pragmatic policies as the need arises, but not before.

IOW, lets not tell people what to expect us to do, as it will leave us
with a free hand to do things they probably wouldn't want us to do if
they knew in advance what we planned.

UKIP should have as few policies as possible, and restrict itself to the
main thrust: To get rid of EU overlordship and restore power to national
government, and then to tackle serious issues on a rational basis as
they arise. And that's ALL the policy they need.

They need a policy to deal with the ruined economy that would result
from an exit from the EU.

but the whole point of leaving the EU is to repair tyhe already ruined
economy.

The recession has absolutely nothing to do with us being in the EU and
leaving will only divorce us from one of our largest overseas markets.
It would be a complete disaster.

I have been around since 1950. I have never seen people ion general more
depressed and miserable than the last 5 years.

Blame the banks that invested in toxic debts, not the EU.

I visited Czechoslovakia a year after the wall came down. Britain today
resembles it. Except there is no hope left in Britain.

You obviously live in a different part from me. What I see around me is
businesses expanding and an economy that is growing.

UKIP should not have a policy on everything. In fact it should have
almost no policy on anything. That's not a weakness, that's a strength.

You can't really believe that can you?

Absolutely6. No policy ion fo9xshubtning, gay marriage, plain wrappings
on cigarettes sod all that.

We have a few very urgent problems.

We are flat broke,.

Rubbish. Our national debt is 88% of our GDP, so we don't owe more than
we can pay and the national deficit is set to turn positive within a
couple of years, so we won't end up owning more than we can pay.

we are being invaded by LEGAL immigrants,

Who wouldn't be coming here is the situation were as bad as you make out
and they are far more likely to be making a contribution to the British
economy than native British.

and we
have no power to stop anything or change anything because the EU sets
the rules.

As I said elsewhere, the amount of UK legislation originating from the
EU is 15% to 50%, depending upon how you set the criteria. Even then,
much of that legislation would have been passed by a British government
in very similar form even if we had not been part of the EU.

That
is not enough of a basis to run a country. However, it is not whether
they are any worse, but why should anybody support them over one of the
mainstream parties unless they were significantly better?

I think no government at all especially no EU government would be
better than what we have.

Anarchy is not better than anything.

--
Colin Bignell