Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Noisy CPU fan

In message , Scott M
writes
fred wrote:
Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

If it's a standard desktop fan, just replace it - they're cheap enough.
They can be oiled but rarely works for long.

I've certainly rejuvenated a totally seized-up ridged PSU fan by
re-lubricating it. The first time, I used WD40, but after a couple of
years, and although it was still running OK, I decided I'd better re-do
it with 3-in-1.

After its initial seizing, the fan had at least 6 years daily use - and
although that PC was essentially pensioned off a couple of years ago, it
still works fine when I give it the occasional boot up for old-time's
sake.

The trouble is that it's often difficult to get a replacement fan which
is both quiet and can shift at least the same amount of air, so I've
also re-lubricated a few other fans (including CPU) that sounded a bit
noisy, or simply 'just in case'.
--
Ian