Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes[_2_] Mike Barnes[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Programming Languages

Tim Watts wrote:
On 29/01/15 09:09, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 28 Jan 2015 22:19:59 GMT, Huge wrote:

Boy1 ...

Only daughters are numbered, boys have names. B-)

... (13) is interested in learning how to write code ...

Code to do what? Writing a game that is much above Pong or Breakout
takes a lot of effort. "Hello World" gets boring after a while. There
has to be an itch that needs to scratched.

I'd go for Python.

Hum, personally I'm not keen on Python, it relies on correct and non
mixed (tab/space) indentation to run and when it doesn't it doesn't,
in my experience, tell you that it's upset about the indentation, it
just weird things (cause code is being run in an unexpected order) or
falls over with an error "that can't happen", except when the code is
running in an unexpected order.

I agree - was ranting about this at work the other day. Managed to
offend all my colleagues when I said, after learning some python to hack
on an existing script:

Nice langauge, shame about the syntactically significant indenting crap.

So, not much chance of hiding a Whitespace program between the visible
code elements then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitesp...ng_language%29

--
Mike Barnes