Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson[_2_] Andrew Mawson[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Programming Languages

"Tim Watts" wrote in message ...

On 29/01/15 11:20, Tim Streater wrote:

Too many "special things" like $_ which make reading perl a constant
WTF? experience.

So don't use them.

use English;

and use nicely named variables.

And don't use $_ at all...

+1 - we used to call it 'self documenting code' - give meaningful names to
variables and subroutines, and if program flow isn't obvious add comments as
required

Over the years I've coded in Fortran, COBOL, ADA, Coral66, LISP, and many
assembler level processors along with variants of basic and C and you soon
appreciate the ability to revisit something that you coded years ago and
understand what you did even if you can't remember doing it

Andrew