Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Programming Languages

On 28/01/15 23:59, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
Huge wrote:

I'd go for Python. Starting here;

https://www.python.org/about/gettingstarted/

The big drawback I found when I tried to get into Python was that everything
non-trivial needed one to find the right class to add to the basic language.
On the one hand, it was nice to have classes already written to do more
complex things, on the other hand it's not easy for a beginner in a
particular language to judge which one of (perhaps) a multitude of extension
packages best suits a job.

I think I'd start with some simpler less extensible language where there's a
better chance of getting to grips with a much smaller range of possible
features.

Perl.

Looks like C, low overhead, do a lot without any modules and the basic
core of it's syntax is very similar to C, PHP and Java so, like Latin it
is both not quite dead, and a very useful thing to learn as it makes
learning other languages easier.