Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Programming Languages

On 28 Jan 2015 22:19:59 GMT, Huge wrote:

Boy1 ...

Only daughters are numbered, boys have names. B-)

... (13) is interested in learning how to write code ...

Code to do what? Writing a game that is much above Pong or Breakout
takes a lot of effort. "Hello World" gets boring after a while. There
has to be an itch that needs to scratched.

I'd go for Python.

Hum, personally I'm not keen on Python, it relies on correct and non
mixed (tab/space) indentation to run and when it doesn't it doesn't,
in my experience, tell you that it's upset about the indentation, it
just weird things (cause code is being run in an unexpected order) or
falls over with an error "that can't happen", except when the code is
running in an unexpected order.

Starting with HTML/CSS and moving on to PHP might be good place as
you get results straight away. If he has a Smartphone developing
something for that should give good rewards, the tools for Android
are free, donno about iOS.

I'd avoid any of the "teaching" languages, why learn something that
isn't used in the real world? It might give a grounding in the basic
way that code is structured but you can get that from any more main
stream languages with a decent "Beginers Guide to ..." book or online
tutorial.

--
Cheers
Dave.