Spudley

Default Totally Puzzled By Connection

Laurence Payne wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:47:50 -0400 (EDT),

(T.
G.) wrote:

A short while ago, my WebTV browser became unresponsive and the tv
screen suddenly "froze" at the website I was at. So, I ended up
unplugging my phone line from the wall -- and the "frozen" website
remained as if I was still connected. So I called my wife in the
room to see it for herself. She suggested that maybe the connection
was somehow possible due to our having an extension in the other
room. So I unplugged that line from the wall, too. I swear to God
that nothing changed! I couldn't believe it! Is there any valid
technical explanation for this?

That's what happens when a computer freezes. It goes on showing
whatever was on the screen when it froze. It's not like a tv

picture
where if you unplug the aerial the picture goes away.

The pictures "Displayed frame" is stored in the computers memory prior
to being displayed by the computers video processor, where it is also
stored "Video RAM", if the computer freezes, that frame is prevented
from being updated to the next available frame so it too freezes in
that state. Unlike a TV, where there is effectively no stored frames
by the TV and the removal of the source signal results in noise being
displayed instead.