Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Covering worktop with Fablon

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 8:38:49 PM UTC, newshound wrote:
On 17/01/2015 17:16, wrote:
On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 12:31:27 PM UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 February 2004 19:51:30 UTC, Rachel wrote:
My question is : Has anyone had any experience of covering the
existing worktops using FABLON ?

Fablon type sticky-back-plastic won't be anywhere near hard-wearing enough.

Alternatives might be:

linoleum
http://www.svane.com/svane---uk/fors.../linoleum.aspx
http://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-uk/...inoleum/bt4vgq
http://www.tsbooker.co.uk/Worktops/L..._worktops.html

tile over it with worktop tiles and waterproof grout

surface over it with stainless steel

If it's just the cooker area that is going to need expensive special worktop, you could cost up getting that done in steel by a fabricator and use cheap ordinary worktop for the rest. Cheap ordinary worktop is probably cheaper than anything else.

You can also of course buy melamine laminate on its own and apply to the existing worktops, especially if you can de-assemble them rather than relaminating in situ.

Owain

Surely lino is rapidly damaged by hot pans

NT

Melamine (e.g. Formica) is quite heat resistant (unlike genuine lino or
the modern vinyl replacement). I havn't seen Formica for ages but it is
(or used to be) a good fix for shelves, worktops, or work benches which
see heavy duty. No good on modern style radiussed worktops though.

Melamine is NOT Formica