Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Sound advice to Muslims

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
[2] I think it is perfectly reasonable for a jew or a muslim to work in
a supermarket and ask not to do meat counter duties as touching pork is
more than he can stand - because it's relatively simple to accommodate.
Not much different to accommodating someone with a shellfish allergy.

It would be totally unreasonable in my view for said person to apply to
work in a butcher's shop and then demand all pork is removed and no
longer sold. He may however ask to be supplied with working gloves to
avoid "touching" the stuff. That means you, Oxford University Press![3]
Ditto I would not expect a person with a shellfish allergy to be wanting
to work in a sushi kitchen.

Yet we banned smoking totally in places like pubs regardless of the
opinions of those who worked there. Allegedly to protect those working
there.

A health risk is different to a moral preference.