Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sound advice to Muslims

On 15/01/15 11:25, stuart noble wrote:

Given what's going on in the world, I don't think I'd be lampooning the
prophet. It may well be as offensive to many as a cartoon of Jimmy
Saville buggering a disabled toddler might be to us.

That's probably quite an illustrative example.

However, in the latter case, there would be extreme outrage and many
letters to the Daily Mail and Twitter would explode. Quite possibly
legal injunctions would follow. But I very much doubt anyone would shoot
anyone.

Part of the problem here is that ridiculously OTT reactions just invite
further ridicule, either to "defend free speech" or "just because".

Just because we in
the west have abandoned religion in favour of shopping, doesn't mean
other people don't feel strongly about it, and doesn't stop a handful of
nutters gravitating towards a cause that allows them to kill people.

When psychopaths have god on their side, you're in big trouble.

That does seem to be the universal constant. Look at the old testament
for a bit of "righteous smiting". It's full of it - either god does the
smiting or his little helpers do it for him.