Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What is wrong with Store Clerks?

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 7:55:51 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 18:06:48 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

You need to get ****ed at the government , not the clerk. By law, or store
policy the items must be bagged in certain ways.

Why the government. It's not law. It's store poicy.

I'm not aware that there are any govt regulations concerning what
gets bagged with what either. The only govt regulations in this
regard that I've seen are the few places that ban plastic bags.

After items were placed in the bags, they can not be reused.

Sure they can. But they don't fit on the dispenser racks so most
clerks will throw away the ones that they started to use.

Apparently he's saying it's store policy not to reused a bag.
I can understand not reusing one that's left the store, but not
reusing one that's been on the register counter the whole time
is pretty dumb. If clerks in my store were throwing away bags
just because they aren't on the rack, I'd end that fast. Multiple
bags wind up coming off all the time, by either customer or bagger.
I see that all the time here, but I don't see anyone throwing them
out either.

Overall, I think he has a valid point. The number of bags used
could be reduced by more careful bagging. Here, I don't see any
strict rules like his store has. They do always put eggs and
fresh meat in a separate bag. Also, things like detergent or
motor oil would never be put with food. Other than that, not sure
there are any rules here. I do notice some like to double bag
the heavy items or limit how much they put in one bag. But those
plastic bags around here are pretty tough. I've rarely had one
even start to rip open, and never had one where it split and stuff
fell out.

One big supermarket here was trying to limit the use of bags.
They sold fabric, reusable ones for just $1 and gave you a few
cents discount for each reusable bag that you used each time.
After a couple years, they ended it, saying it had been very
successful. That part I doubt. I rarely see anyone using them.
They do have a bag recycling spot to return the plastic ones
right at the store entrance. I have a big pile here, waiting to
go. Problem is, I never can remember to put them in the car.....